PM² Methodology: one, lean, easy to use project management methodology for all
The PM² methodology (read P-M-squared) is a project management methodology developed and supported by the European Commission.
It is adoped by many European institutions as well as large and smaller organizations in the private sector.
It's sole purpose is to enable project teams to manage their projects effectively through a lean, light and easy to use project management approach.
It incorporates elements from globally accepted best practices, standards and methodologies, making it suitable for use in any type of organization and project.
The methodology is based on the PM² Guide, an open and free to the public 80+ pages fully documented roadmap which provides: a project governance model (i.e. roles & responsibilities); a project lifecycle (i.e. project phases); a set of processes (i.e. project management activities); a set of project artefacts (i.e. templates and guidelines); a set of mindsets (i.e. effective beliefs and behaviours)
Why PM² is for everyone involved in projects:
- PM² is a simple and easy-to-use methodology which combines well-known best practices driven from the experience of European Institutions in managing thousands of programs, projects and grants (EU Grants).
- Twelve years after its successful implementation within the EU, PM² is the methodology most European institutions (with strict benchmarks) have chosen (ECB, EIB, Council, Parliament, etc.). Thanks to its ease of use and the documentation tools (artefact templates) it offers, the methodology has quickly become known and applied to the private sector even outside of European Projects. In other words, it is a European success story.
- It does not reject or contradict any other methodology, model or process supported by other bodies, such as PMI©, IPMA etc. On the contrary, PM² incorporates elements of a range of globally accepted project management best practices, standards and methodologies (including Agile).
- It is a simple but comprehensive methodology. Although it proposes classic and new management activities as well, its strength lies in integrating and presenting good project management practices to its users.
- Less is more! The proven usability of the PM² Guide (80 pages) is one of the strongest points of the PM² methodology. PM² deliberately avoided becoming yet another "encyclopaedia" of everything you ever wanted to know about project management. Instead, PM² has been written with its users in mind, from their perspective and addressing their needs.
- Its simplicity encourages users to apply it directly to their projects and it can be applied to any type of organization or project.
- It includes a clear assignment of roles and responsibilities to the operational hierarchy (within the project), which mitigates conflicts by transferring power and decision-making within project governance itself. This is why PM² is the ideal methodology for managing projects within organizations in matrix structures.
- PM² offers a holistic approach to project management covering the governance structure of the project, the mindsets of the Project Manager and the stakeholders, and the transition and implementation in any organization or project.
- The methodology guide and the available standard documents (artefacts) are open and free to the public (open source license), (also available in Greek).
- The PM² Alliance certifications available are high-quality and accessible to the general public. Studying and knowing the methodology is enough and one can quickly take the exams from their computer (Online Proctored Certification Exam Center) avoiding time-consuming and costly registration procedures.
Go over the event's agenda to see why and how EU and non EU organizations have implemented this methodology with great success.